Thursday, April 20, 2006

double car trouble

so our vehicular relations have taken a turn for the worse recently. on wednesday night our car died. muchos kaputos. it had a dodgy 'big end' (I so didn't know cars had those) but we were told it might keep going as much as 10,000kms... in this case it managed about 100 and rattled to a limping death in the middle of the country side 20 minutes from methven. so that's a complete loss. I wasn't too attached to it, it was navy blue afterall, but a change of luck buying 2nd hand cars would be nice!

my other wee predicament came in the form of a letter from bromley county court saying I owed GBP1,800 for damages in the accident I had last may when my car got written off. I happened to phone my useless insurance company and profoundly useless lawyers the previous night, who'd told me the case had been closed in january. so it turms out as I was not in the uk and there were no witnesses, my lawyers decided to accept responsibility for the accident on my behalf meaning my insurers had to pay the other persons above expenses, which they did, only the courts haven't been informed so in about 2 weeks time if it's not sorted out I get a county court judgement in my name!! my mum's on the case, and mrs A. doesn't settle for any nonsense, but this whole thing is ridiculous as the other driver didn't even include the lights on her accident diagram she reckoned were green when she went through them and hit me! this is my first brush with lawyers, but I don't think they could have been more useless, in fact they might has well have been working for the other side!

on the up side we get to try and find a funky old car for me, cars are quite cheap here and I don't think I have to tell NZ insurers about UK insurance claims, so it could be a lot worse :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home