Sunday, December 24, 2006

christmas cooking

after having tasty christmassy fruit cake at church this morning, I decided to do a little christmas baking of my own, so my mum's recipe light fuity spice cake is in the oven and my afghans are lined up on the tray ready to go next. afghans are one of the staple kiwi biccies you're guarenteed to find in cafes, along with yo-yos (2 shortbread cookies with fruity butter icing between), anzac cookies (made for Aussie-and-New-Zealand-Allied-Corps in WWII) and traybakes like tan slice. afghans are dreamy chocolatey cookies topped with chocolate icing and a walnut... here's the recipe from my favorite cafe in methven if you'd like to try them - they're really quick & easy:

afghan cookies - makes 16 approx.

  • 200g butter/margerine
  • 1/2 cup /100g white sugar
  • 1/4 cup/4tbsp cocoa
  • 1+1/2 cups/225g plain flour
  • 2 cups/50g cornflakes
  • icing sugar, cocoa & walnut pieces/halves for the topping

cream butter and sugar, add cocoa, then flour then fold in cornflakes. makes a pretty stiff mixture. roll into golf sized balls, flatten to 2cm thick approx (they don't really spread) and bake at 180C for 15mins. top with chocolate icing and a half walnut. eat. mmmm.

tonight we're off to wild camp (I'm hoping fran gets sent home early!) up the lake and have some BBQ sausages for breakfast, pop home for some presents, then jimmy & lizzy are having us round for traditional roast turkey dinner - a real wild turkey given to them by some friends!

have a great christmas y'all! xxx

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Yum YUM!!!
Tasty cakes here I come :-)

Sunday, December 24, 2006 10:32:00 pm  
Blogger val said...

I think I will try these out. Cheers. Val Austen

Monday, December 25, 2006 8:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home