Thursday, January 18, 2007

believe it or not...

...prayer works! I think I tend to forget just how much sometimes. 2 weeks ago I started to pray every morning 'god, please get fran on camera today' (as in paid cameraman jumps) and a whole little sequence of events happened which got him onto stand-by camera and has kept him getting jumps when logic or the prior system says he wouldn't be jumping. actually, he's getting so much blessing at work I feel almost bad that we have the power of prayer on our side!

apart from the cameraman thing we've not had anything startling happen. my art's going ok - still working out my schedule, a new element of which is I get the car wednesdays, meaning I take fran to work in the morning and his collegues get to see I'm not some mythical creature they hear of but never meet, do the groceries (yey!), and then drive wherever I fancy for the day. yesterday I drove out into the hills north-east of queenstown. recently, the natural beauty of this area has really started to hit me - I think the hard start to living here stopped me seeing it. the colours here are so rich and deep and vibrant. I ended up buying some pastels while I was out and sketching some hills at the paragliders' 'flightpark' which backs onto a beautiful wooded ridge with a big jaggedy cliffed hill part way along. at the moment the meadow grasses are long and a really rich orangy-red colour. just gorgeous!

I've also been learning about colour. I didn't know how much I didn't know! pretty much all my art I do in the 'pure' colour scale which is mixed solely from primary colours and apparently means I have a 'gregarious, extroverted personality' and like the 'drama and excitement' the colours convey. but there is also a tint scale - with white added, a tone scale - with grey added, and shade scale - with black added. even simple stuff I've never purposely thought about - like the visual effect of yellow or red on a canvas is very strong so you have to be careful how you use it, or blue - a colour I've never been that keen on by itself - is a very peaceful colour because it's such a large element of the natural landscape. it's pretty interesting and is definately making me think about my use of colour and how to construct colours more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooo, i like the pastels.....

lisa

Saturday, January 20, 2007 8:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

andy is well in to colour - he gets particularly exciting about seeing 'grey' in colours around and about. also, he has had a fascination with rust and how God uses colour in rust!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this may interest you
http://webexhibits.org/colorart/index.html
love bea

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home